A fan recently asked if I have any pets. Because of my travel schedule I can't keep the normal dog or cat. Instead I keep Poison Dart Frogs. Poisonous??? Yep, well not in captivity. In the wild Dart Frogs gain their poison from eating bugs and ants. These insects most likely acquire the poison from their plant diet and when the frogs eat the bugs, their skin is coated with a poisonous alkaloid which prevents nerves from transmitting impulses and leaving the muscles in an inactive state of contraction. This can lead to heart failure or fibrillation. But in captivity foods are not rich in the alkaloids required to produce toxins. Captive born frogs do not produce toxins and wild caught specimens eventually lose their toxicity in captivity.
Why are they called Dart Frogs? Well native people use this poison to hunt by coating darts with the frog's poison. Pretty cool huh! I currently keep 4 different species of Dart Frogs and the ones pictured are called Dendrobates auratus 'Super Blue'. And let me tell you...they are SUPER BLUE! Ill try to post more pictures for you soon :)